Monday 13 August 2012

Mateship – How I fell in love with Australia!


The concept of Mateship is the Australian cultural idiom that embodies equality, loyalty and friendship (Caroll, 1982). I have read so many things about complex cultures and the associated beliefs, values and ideologies. I have found these overwhelmingly difficult at times to understand why the cultures need to be so complex.

I then came to Australia to study. I feel in love with the easy going nature of the people, the friendly nature and the acceptance that everyone receives. The celebrations, the problems, the sorry, the thank you; it’s all manageable with the ‘No Worries Mate’. No one is overly serious. I absolutely love it.



The big question to me is how the Australian culture of mateship is going to evolve with the increasing migration levels and people arriving in Australia from different parts of the culture, different backgrounds and different beliefs. I am not necessarily implying that the Australian cultural will be impacted in a negative way. I only hope that people coming into Australia can realise the importance and the power of simplicity that the mateship culture is.

Hats off to the simplicity and easy going attribute of the Australian culture.

References
Carroll, John (1982). Intruders In The Bush: The Australian Quest For Identity (2nd ed.). South Melbourne, VIC: Oxford University Press. p. 114. ISBN 0-19-553374-7.

Between a Hard Rock and a Place. Cam Harris Blog. Online on 13 August 2012 at http://camharris.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/mate.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment