Sunday 29 July 2012

Global Media Empires – Good thing or bad thing?


Rupert Murdoch is one name that popped in my head as soon as I heard these words “Global Media Empires”. His empire includes TV channels, newspapers, radio channels, movie production houses and magazines. The one man owns almost one fifth of the world’s media capability. Rupert Murdoch and his business operations have been under scrutiny for unethical and at times, illegal operations (The Guardian, 14/7/2011).

Vardarajan (2012) says that Rubert’s goal was always to demolish the print dailies and have an unquestioned media empire where he could do what he liked and published what he wanted to. This raises concerns about what the media giants are potentially capable of, both good and bad. When I am reading a news story, I couldn’t potentially know how much is being hidden from me, what’s been ill-communicated and whether all stories are being brought to me.

Another thing I hate is how Paris Hilton or Lady Gaga are on a full page of newspaper, and news about world economy is hidden in a small corner. The media empires probably need to take a deep breath and realise what great role they can play in globalisation if they had their mind straight.

To conclude, in my opinion large media empires are probably a good thing. They are under continuously scrutiny from governments and other social organizations; therefore their unethical behaviour would be restricted to a great extent. They could however be better if they operated with a better moral and ethic.

References

Varadarajan, Tunku (2012). "Nationalization and Necrophilia. Till death do us part. Chronicle of a Death". Online at

Ed Pilkington in New York, Andrew Gumbel and agencies (14/07/2011). "FBI to investigate News Corporation over 9/11 hacking allegations". The Guardian (London). Online at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/14/fbi-news-corp-hacking-claims?INTCMP=SRCH

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog. I have read many a dull blog in the past few weeks and i can honestly say this is not one of them. I completely agree with your stance on the undeniable power of Global Media Giants. Scarily you are correct when you say we can never be sure that what we are being told is completely, if at all, the truth. Sadly there is not much we can do about it,other than be aware and challenge the reality that they are presenting to us. All i can suggest is incorporating some images in your posts. Good Work on your Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely an enjoyable read and very passionate. I liked how you took a very clear standpoint and ran with it. If I had to suggest something, I felt a bit confused when Paris Hilton and Lady Gaga was mentioned but I could see where you were going with it! All in all, a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. You raise some really great points about the power of media empires in filtering the news we receive. I think you could have taken this a step further by acknowledging the power of say, Murdoch's empire, in the political realm and the dangers of this influence affecting government ability to scrutinise any unethical behaviour on an 'empires' part. You have some good sources that you could have perhaps linked a little further into your argument, but they were effective nonetheless. Overall really well done, an enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was very nicely set out, with good use of citations as evidence, however I think you lost me on the conclusion. This is because you have, in preceding paragraphs, mostly noted negative things about dominant media firms but in the end revert to saying that you think they are a good idea. I was under the impression that you were going to take the view that they were a negative influence. I believe it would help if you provided some reasons on why it is you think dominant media oligopolies are a good thing. Otherwise your posts have been the most engaging thus far.

    ReplyDelete